REMOVAL & INSTALLATION 1976-83 Wagoneer and Cherokee
See Figure 1
- Remove the tailgate access cover.
- Remove the retainers from the regulator arm studs.
- Disconnect the regulator arm studs from the bottom channel.
- Disconnect the defogger wires.
- Remove the glass.
- Clean the lower section of the glass with isopropyl alcohol. Don't wipe the defogger grid area!
- Using glass sealer, part number 8130418, or equivalent, cut two strips, 53 1 / 2 inches long, each. Place one strip on top of the other, adhesive sides together, and squeeze together, making a single strip 0.09 inch thick by 53 1 / 2 inch long.
- Place the glass on a padded surface, bottom edge up.
- Remove the release paper from one side of the sealer. Center the sealer over the glass edge, and, starting from one end lay the sealer on the glass edge, but don't wrap the sealer up over the side, yet.
- Remove the other release paper and wrap the sealer over the glass edges.
- Press or tap the bottom channel on the glass. Make sure that the channel is fully seated.
- The remainder of installation is the reverse of removal.
The retainers are easily damaged during removal. When installing the retainers, make sure that the tabs are firmly locked in the groove of each pin. If any problem is encountered, replace the retainers.