REMOVAL & INSTALLATION FC Series and Jeepster/Commando
The procedure is the same as that for windshield glass.
1962-83 Wagoneer and J-Series Truck, Cherokee
See Figure 1
This procedure applies to the rear quarter stationary glass in Wagoneers and the rear cab window glass in the J-Series truck. The rear cab window on the Comanche uses a bonded installation procedure. See the note under 1979-83 Windshields, above.
- Remove the interior trim moldings from around the window. Where necessary, remove the spare tire and mounting bracket.
- Break loose the seal between the weatherstripping and the body panels.
- Have someone outside push inward on the glass while you catch it.
4. Clean all old sealer from the glass and weatherstripping.
- Fill the glass cavity in the weatherstripping with a 3 / 16 inch bead of sealer.
- Fit the glass in the weatherstripping and place a 1 / 4 inch diameter cord in the frame cavity around the outside diameter of the weatherstripping. Allow the ends of the cord to hang down the outside of the glass from the top center.
- Place the glass and weatherstripping in the vehicle opening. Pull on the cord ends to pull the lip of the weatherstripping over the body panel.
- Install the trim molding.
On some Cherokee Custom models, the pivoting rear quarter vent window and frame may remain in the vehicle, nut removal of the Mylar® filler strip is required for stationary window removal. An assistant is required for this job.
- Have your assistant ready to catch the glass from the outside.
- Working on the inside of the vehicle, use a wood spatula to pull the weatherstripping down to clear the body flange, while exerting an outward pressure on the glass.
When the glass is out, remove the weatherstripping and clean all old sealer from both the glass and weatherstripping.
- Fill the glass cavity in the weatherstripping with a 3 / 16 inch bead of sealer. Fit the weatherstripping around the glass.
- Coat the weatherstripping with a soapy water solution.
- Position the glass and weatherstripping in the body opening.
- Starting at the bottom, use the wood spatula to work the weatherstripping over the body flange. Work your way all around the opening.
- Clean all excess sealer from the glass and leak test the window.