REMOVAL & INSTALLATION 1957-79 Models
See Figures 1 through 9
- Remove the hub cap. On models with disc brakes, remove the caliper.
- Remove the drive flange snapring.
- On models with disc brakes, remove the rotor hub bolts, cover and gasket. On models with drum brakes, remove the axle flange bolts, lockwashers, and flatwashers.
- If the axle is on the vehicle, apply the foot brakes. Remove the axle flange with a puller.
- Release the locking lip of the lockwasher, and remove the outer nut, lockwasher, adjusting nut, and bearing lockwasher.
- On models with disc brakes, remove the bearing and rotor. On models with drum brakes, back off on the brake adjusting star wheel adjusters and remove the brake drum assembly with the bearings. Be careful not to damage the oil seal.
- On models with drum brakes, remove the brake backing plate. If the axle is on the vehicle, it will first be necessary to disconnect the brake hose between the front brake line and the flexible connection. On models with disc brakes, remove the adapter and splash shield.
- Remove the spindle and spindle bushing.
- Remove the axle shaft and universal joint assembly.
- Clean all parts.
- Insert the universal joint and axle shaft assembly into the axle housing, being careful not to knock out the inner seal. Insert the splined end of the axle shaft into the differential and push into place.
- Install the wheel bearing spindle and bushing.
- Install the brake backing plate, or adapter and splash shield.
- Grease and assemble the wheel bearings and oil seal.
- Install the wheel hub and drum on the wheel bearing spindle. On disc brakes, install the rotor, hub, and caliper. Install the wheel bearing washer and adjusting nut. Tighten the nut to 50 ft. lb., and back it off 1 / 4 turn while rotating the hub. Install the lockwasher and nut, tighten the nut into place, and then bend the lip of the lockwasher over onto the locknut.
- Install the drive flange and gasket onto the hub and attach with six capscrews and lockwashers. Install the snapring onto the outer end of the axle shaft.
- Install the hub cap.
- Install the wheel, lug nuts, and wheel disc.
- If the tube was installed with the axle assembly on the vehicle, check the front wheel alignment, bleed the brakes and lubricate the front axle universal joints.
See Figure 10
- Remove the socket head screws from the hub body.
- Remove the large retaining ring from the hub.
- Remove the small retaining ring from the axle shaft.
- Remove the hub clutch assembly.
- Clean all parts in a safe solvent and dry them with lint-free cloths.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Torque the socket head screws to 30 in. lb.