REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Drain the cooling system.
When draining engine coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted to ethylene glycol antifreeze and could drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or is several years old.
- Disconnect the temperature control cable at the heater.
- Disconnect the heater hoses at the inlet and outlet of the heater.
- Disconnect the blower motor resistor wires at the plug-type connector on the heater resistor.
- Remove the nuts that secure the heater core and cut to the firewall. Two of the nuts are on the inside of the vehicle, just to the right of the transition duct on the Wagoneer and Cherokee.
- Remove the heater core and duct.
- Mark the duct halves to be sure that they are properly assembled.
- Remove the screws that fasten the two halves of the duct together.
- Remove the screws that secure the heater core to the duct.
- Remove the heater core.
- Install the heater core in the reverse order of removal. Replace any damaged sealer.