Drive for the PTO is taken from the transfer case main drive gear, through an internal sliding gear. This gear is mounted in the shift housing and the shift lever controls this gear, engaging and disengaging the drive.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Matchmark the PTO driveshaft and companion flange, and disconnect the driveshaft.
- Remove the shift assembly cover (4 screws), being careful to avoid damage to the felt seal.
- Remove the five bolts attaching the shift unit to the transfer case and remove the unit assembly by pulling it rearward and out.
- Wash all parts thoroughly in a safe solvent. Examine all parts for wear or damage.
- Insert a small drift through the shift lever opening to pry the shift rail and No. 1 fork forward to clear the poppet ball and spring. Be careful to avoid losing the parts. Remove the shifting sleeve.
- Remove the attaching nut and slide out the companion flange.
- Drive the shaft forward, out of the housing.
- Remove the spacer and bearing.
- Clean and inspect all parts.
- Assembly and installation is the reverse of removal and disassembly.