REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise the vehicle and support it on jackstands.
- Remove the rear wheels.
- Place an indexing mark on the rear yoke and driveshaft, and disconnect the shaft.
- Disconnect the shock absorbers from the axle tubes.
- Disconnect the brake hose from the tee fitting on the axle housing.
- Disconnect the parking brake cable at the frame mounting.
- Remove the U-bolts. On vehicles with the spring mounted above the axle, disconnect the spring at the rear shackle.
- Support the axle on a jack, remove the spring clips, and remove the axle assembly from under the vehicle.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Note the following torques:
FC Series Truck
1962-69 Wagoneer and J-Series Truck
1970-86 Wagoneer, Cherokee and J-Series Truck
Bleed and adjust brakes accordingly.