REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and support the vehicle on jackstands.
- Place the wheels in a straight ahead position.
- Remove the cotter pin and nut and disconnect the connecting rod from the pitman arm.
- Matchmark the pitman arm and steering gear housing for installation alignment.
- Remove the pitman arm nut. Some steering gears have a staked washer securing the nut. The arms of this washer must be bent out of the way to remove the nut.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Torque the pitman arm nut to:
FC Series: 115 ft. lb.1962-69 Wagoneer and J-Series Truck: 95 ft. lb.Jeepster with Ross gear: 90 ft. lb.Jeepster/Commando with Saginaw gear: 160 ft. lb.1970-83 All Models: 185 ft. lb.