MANUAL LINKAGE ADJUSTMENT FC Series
On early production trucks, the front drive axle shift rod has two holes. The linkage control lever should be in the forward hole.
- Place the hand shift lever in NEUTRAL.
- Loosen the adjusting nuts on the shift control rod.
- Place the case control levers in the NEUTRAL position.
- Tighten the adjusting nuts.
LOW RANGE REDUCTION UNIT CABLE ADJUSTMENT Warner Quadra-Trac®
This procedure only applies to early production Quadra-Trac® transfer case equipped with a cable controlled reduction unit. Later production units are equipped with a lever controlled unit for which there is no adjustment.
There are two features which can be operated manually: the lock-out feature and the engagement of the optional Low Range Reduction Unit.
Since the lock-out feature is a vacuum actuated unit, there are not external adjustments that can be made, other than making sure that all vacuum lines are in place, connected, and not damaged in any way.
The reduction on early models unit is actuated by a shift cable and can be adjusted in the following manner:
- Loosen the nut which clamps the cable to the shift lever pivot. Be sure that the cable can move freely in the pivot.
- Move the reduction shift lever to the most rearward detent position (Hi-Range position).
- Push the Low Range lever inward until it stops. Pull the Low Range lever out slightly, no more than 1 / 16 in.
- Tighten the cable clamp nut at the reduction unit shift lever.
MODE ROD ADJUSTMENTNP-228, 229
1983 WAGONEER, CHEROKEE AND J-SERIES TRUCK
See Figure 1
If this adjustment is not properly made, the transfer case may not fully engage 2WD/HIGH and internal damage will result.
- Fully engage the 2WD/HIGH position.
- Refer to the accompanying illustration. The range lever (2) and the mode lever (1) must be aligned on the same centerline (3).
To correctly position the mode lever, it is sometimes necessary to rotate the transfer case output shaft. To do this, raise and support the rear end on jackstands and rotate the rear driveshaft, while applying a load on the mode lever. Doing this will help align the spline for full engagement of 2WD/HIGH.
- Adjust the length of the mode rod (4) to approximately 6 inches, to eliminate all free-play.
- Make sure all vacuum lines are secure.
- Drive the vehicle a short distance, shifting between 4WD and 2WD/HIGH.
- Check the mode lever position. The lever should be aligned as explained in step 2. If not, repeat steps 3 through 5, increasing the length of the mode rod one turn, until proper alignment is achieved.
- With the transfer case vacuum motor shift rod fully extended and the transfer case in 2WD/HIGH, adjust the mode rod so that the pin (6) moves freely in its hole.