Removal & Installation
Except AW-4 Models
See Figure 1
To replace the switch, simply unbolt it from the transmission, disconnect the wires and install a new switch.
See Figure 2
- Raise and support the front end on jackstands.
- Disconnect the wiring at the switch.
- Pry open the locktabs and remove the switch retaining nut and washer.
- Remove the switch adjusting bolt.
- Slide the switch off the manual valve shaft.
- Disconnect the shift linkage rod from the shift lever at the transmission.
- Rotate the shift lever all the way rearward, then forward 2 detent positions to N .
- Position the switch on the valve shaft and install the adjusting bolt finger-tight.
- Install the washer and attaching nut and tighten the nut to 60 inch lbs. (7 Nm), but don't bend the tabbed washer yet.
- Adjust the switch.
Except AW-4 Model
The switch is not adjustable on these transmissions.AW-4 Models
See Figure 3
- Loosen the adjusting nut.
- With the transmission in neutral, rotate the switch to align the neutral standard line with the groove on the valve shaft.
- Hold the switch in this position and tighten the adjusting bolt to 108 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
- Bend the tabbed washer over the retaining nut.
- Connect the shift linkage rod.
- Connect the switch wiring.
- Check the switch operation. The engine should start in P and N only.