Removal & Installation
Non-ABS Equipped Models
See Figure 1
- Loosen, but do not remove the master cylinder retaining nuts.
- Remove the instrument panel lower trim cover.
- Remove the retaining clip attaching the booster pushrod to the brake pedal.
- Loosen the vacuum hose clip and disconnect the hose from the check valve.
- Remove the master cylinder retaining nuts and carefully move the master cylinder aside with the brake lines still attached.
- Unfasten the booster retaining nuts/bolts and remove the booster.
- Install the check valve and grommet in the booster.
- Install the spacer on the booster (if equipped).
- Position the booster on the firewall and fasten the booster mounting bolts/nuts.
- Working inside the vehicle, install the nuts on the booster mounting studs. Tighten the bolts to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).
- Tighten the pedal pushrod bolt inner nut to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm) and then tighten the outer locknut to 75 inch lbs. (8 Nm).
- Install the master cylinder and check for proper operation.
BENDIX ANTI-LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM
The power booster unit on the Bendix anti-lock brake system is an integral component of the master cylinder/pressure modulator/accumulator assembly. Refer to that removal procedure under the Bendix ABS portion later in this section.TEVES MK-IV ANTI-LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM
A Diagnostic Readout Box (DRB II), or the equivalent type of scan tool, is essential to perform the bleeding of the ABS system.
- Pump the brake pedal until all vacuum is expelled from the booster.
- Disengage the pedal travel sensor and remove the air cleaner.
- Unfasten the clamps securing the reservoir hoses to the HCU pipes. Remove the hoses from the pipes.
- Disengage the brake lines at the master cylinder.
- Remove the combination valve bracket bolt (if necessary).
- Remove the nuts attaching the master cylinder to the booster mounting. Remove the master cylinder from the vehicle.
- Tag and disconnect vacuum hose at the booster check valve.
- Disconnect the booster pushrod from the brake pedal.
- Remove the nuts attaching the booster to the passenger compartment side of the dash panel.