See Figures 1 and 2
The intake manifold air temperature sensor, or MAT sensor is mounted on the intake manifold and provides the PCM with intake air temperature information. The sensor is a temperature dependent resistor. As the temperature of the air rises, the sensor resistance drops and as the temperature of the air drops, the sensor resistance rises.
See Figure 3
- Remove the MAT sensor from the intake manifold.
- Connect a digital ohmmeter to the two terminals of the sensor.
- Using a calibrated thermometer, compare the resistance of the sensor to the temperature of the ambient air. Refer to the Sensor Resistance Chart.
- Repeat the test at two other temperature points, heating or cooling the air as necessary with a hair dryer or other suitable tool.
- If the sensor does not meet specification, it must be replaced.
Removal & Installation
- Disengage the MAT sensor wiring harness and unscrew the sensor.
- Screw in the sensor and tighten it to 20 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).
- Engage the sensor wiring connector.