Removal & Installation
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the transmission or transmission/transfer case assembly.
- Matchmark the pressure plate and flywheel. Loosen the pressure plate bolts, a little at a time, in rotation, to avoid warpage.
- Remove the pressure plate and clutch disc.
- Inspect the flywheel for scoring, cracks, warpage or other wear; resurface or replace as necessary.
- Inspect the pilot bearing for excessive wear or damage and replace as necessary.
- If removed, install the pilot bearing after lubricating lightly with grease. Seat the bearing in the crankshaft with a clutch alignment tool.
- Check the clutch disc runout by installing the disc on the transmission input shaft. Runout should not exceed 0.020 in. (0.5mm) when measured 1 / 4 in. (5mm) from the outer edge of the facing.
- Install the clutch alignment tool in the pilot bearing.
- Install the clutch disc on the tool.
Install the pressure plate and tighten the bolts finger-tight. The pressure plate bolts must be tightened a little at a time, in rotation, to avoid warpage. Tighten the pressure plate bolts as follows:
2.1L diesel engines-16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm)
- Install the transmission or transmission/transfer case assembly and lower the vehicle.