Removal & Installation
See Figures 1 and 2
This procedure applies only to the 4.0L engine. The intake and exhaust manifold are mounted externally on the left side of the engine and are attached to the cylinder head. They are removed as a unit.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly.
- Disconnect the accelerator cable, cruise control cable, if equipped and transmission line pressure cable.
- Disconnect all electrical connectors on the intake manifold.
- Disconnect and remove the fuel supply and return lines from the fuel rail assembly.
- Remove the fuel rail and injectors.
- Loosen the accessory drive belts.
- Remove the power steering pump.
- Disconnect the exhaust pipe from the manifold and discard the seal.
- Remove the intake and exhaust manifold attaching nuts and bolts.
- Remove the manifold assembly and gasket.
- Clean the gasket mating surfaces thoroughly. Install a new gasket over the alignment dowels and position the exhaust manifold to the cylinder head. Install bolt No. 3 finger-tight.
- Install the intake manifold and the remaining bolts and washers.
On 1987-90 models, tighten bolts, in sequence, to the following torque specifications:
- Bolt 1-30 ft. lbs. (40.5 Nm)
- Bolts 2-11-23 ft. lbs. (31 Nm)
- Bolts 12 and 13-30 ft. lbs. (40.5 Nm)
On 1991-98 models, tighten bolts, in sequence, to the following torque specifications:
- Bolts 1-5-23 ft. lbs. (31 Nm)
- Bolts 6 and 7-17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm)
- Bolts 8-11-23 ft. lbs. (31 Nm)
- Install the fuel rail and injectors.
- Install the power steering pump and tension the accessory belt to specification.
- Using new O-rings, install the fuel supply and return lines.
- Connect all electrical connectors, vacuum connectors, throttle cable, cruise control cable and transmission lines pressure cable.
- Install the air cleaner assembly.
- Using a new seal, connect the exhaust pipe to the manifold and tighten the bolts to 23 ft. lbs. (31 Nm).
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.