Removal & Installation
Except Grand Cherokee
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the grille reinforcement panel/crossmember, as necessary.
- Drain the cooling system.
- Remove the radiator upper and lower hoses.
- If equipped, remove the transmission cooler lines.
- Unplug any electrical connections.
- Remove the fan shroud mounting bolts and pull the fan shroud back to the engine.
- If equipped, remove the alignment dowel E-clips from the lower radiator mounting bracket.
- Disconnect the overflow tube from the radiator.
- Remove all attaching bolts and screws that secure the radiator to the radiator support.
- Remove the condenser-to-radiator mounting bolts and pull the radiator out of the vehicle.
Take care not to damage the radiator fins.
- Empty the remaining coolant in the radiator.
- Slide the radiator into position behind the condenser, if equipped.
- Align the dowel pins with the bottom mounting bracket and install the E-clips (if equipped).
- Tighten the condenser-to-radiator bolts to 55 inch lbs. (6 Nm).
- Install and tighten the radiator mounting bolts.
- Install the grille reinforcement panel/crossmember.
- Connect the transmission cooler lines, if equipped.
- Install the fan shroud.
- Plug in all electrical connections.
- Connect the radiator hoses.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Fill the cooling system to the correct level.
See Figures 9, 10 and 11
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Open the radiator valve and drain the cooling system.
- Remove the fan and shroud assembly.
- If equipped, disconnect the automatic transmission cooling line quick-fit connections.
- Matchmark the upper radiator crossmember and adjust the crossmember to the left or right.
- Eight clips are used to retain a rubber seal to the body. Gently pry up the outboard clips (2 per side) until the rubber seal can be removed. Do not remove the seals entirely. Fold back the seal on both sides to access the grille opening reinforcement mounting bolts and remove the bolts.
- Remove the grille.
- Remove the upper brace bolt from each of the 2 radiator braces.
- Remove the crossmember-to-radiator mounting nuts.
- Working through the grille opening, remove the lower bracket bolt securing the lower part of the hood latch or hood latch cable from the crossmember.
- Lift the crossmember straight up and position it aside.
- If equipped with A/C, remove the 2 A/C condenser-to-radiator mounting bolts which also retain the side mounted rubber air seals.
- If not equipped with A/C, remove the bolts retaining the side mounted rubber air seals compressed between the radiator and crossmember.
Note the location of the air seals. To prevent overheating, they must be installed in their original position.
- Disconnect the coolant reservoir/overflow tank hose from the radiator.
- Disconnect the upper hose from the radiator.
- Carefully lift the radiator a slight amount and disconnect the lower hose from the radiator.
- Lift the radiator up and out of the engine compartment, take care not to scrape the fins or disturb the A/C condenser if equipped.
If equipped with an auxiliary automatic transmission oil cooler, use caution during radiator removal. The oil cooler lines are routed through a rubber air seal on the left side of the radiator. Do not cut or tear this seal.To install:
- Lower the radiator into the vehicle. Guide the alignment dowels into the hoses in the rubber air seals and then through the A/C support brackets, if equipped. Continue to guide the radiator through the rubber grommets located in the lower crossmember.
If equipped with A/C, the L-shaped brackets, located on the bottom of the condenser, must be positioned between the bottom of the rubber air seals and top of rubber grommets.
- Connect the lower radiator hose to the radiator.
- Connect the upper radiator hose to the radiator.
- If equipped with A/C, install the bolts condenser-to-radiator mounting bolts.
- If not equipped with A/C, install the rubber air seal retaining bolts.
- Connect the reservoir/overflow tank hose to the radiator.
- If the radiator-to-upper crossmember rubber insulators were removed, install them.
- Install the hood latch support bracket-to-lower frame crossmember bolt.
- Install the bolts securing the upper radiator crossmember to the body.
- Install the radiator-to-upper crossmember nuts.
- Install a bolt to each upper radiator brace.
- Install the grille.
- Position the rubber seal and push down on the clips until seated.
- If equipped, connect the transmission cooling lines.
- Install the fan shroud with the fan.
- Install the fan and shroud.
- Rotate the fan blades and ensure they do not interfere with the shroud and at least 1 inch (25mm) of clearance is allowed. Correct as necessary.
- Fill the cooling system.