Removal & Installation
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- If necessary, remove the door trim panel and water shield to unplug any/all wiring harness connectors. Slide the wiring harness out of the door.
- Matchmark the hinge-to-door position.
- Have an assistant support the door.
- Using a pair of pliers, remove the door stop-to-pillar pin.
- Remove the hinge-to-door bolts, catch the shims, and lift off the door.
- Position the door and shims, then install, but do not tighten the bolts.
- Perform the door adjustment procedure, as described below. Tighten the front door hinge bolts to 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm). Tighten the rear door hinge bolts to 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm) on Cherokee/Wagoneer and 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm) on Grand Cherokee.
- Install the door stop-to-pillar pin. Spray a white lubricant on the hinge pivot points to eliminate any binding conditions. Open and close the door several times to be sure that the lubricant is evenly and thoroughly distributed.
- Install and connect any/all wiring.
- Spray a white lubricant on the hinge pivot points to eliminate any binding conditions. Open and close the door several times to be sure that the lubricant is evenly and thoroughly distributed.
- If removed earlier, install the water shield and door trim panel.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
Except Grand Cherokee
See Figure 4
Door adjustment is made by means of shims located between the door and the hinge plate. The shims are placed in hinge plates. Add or remove shims as necessary to obtain proper door fit. When adjustment is complete, torque the mounting bolts to 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm).
Be sure to apply a general purpose sealant around the door hinge/face mating area.Grand Cherokee
Adjustment for proper door alignment is made by moving the latch striker.
- Loosen the door latch striker.
- Tap the latch striker in whatever direction will properly align the door character line to the character line on the body.
- Inspect the door alignment. If correct, tighten the striker bolts to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).