Removal & Installation
See Figure 1
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove the wheels and brake assemblies.
Refer to Brakes for the proper procedures concerning brake removal.
- Remove the cotter pin, locknut and axle hub nut.
- Remove the hub-to-knuckle attaching bolts.
- Remove the hub and splash shield from the steering knuckle.
- Remove the left axle shaft from the housing.
- If equipped with Command-Trac, disconnect the vacuum harness from the shift motor and remove the shift motor from the housing.
- Remove the right axle shaft from the housing.
- Insert the left and right axle shafts into the axle tube.
- To install the right axle shaft (with Command-Trac) first be sure that the shift collar is in position on the intermediate shaft and that the axle shaft is fully engaged in the intermediate shaft end.
- If equipped with Command-Trac, install the shift motor, making sure that the fork engages with the collar. Tighten the bolts to 8 ft. lbs. (11 Nm).
- On the left side, install the axle shaft in the housing.
- Partially fill the hub cavity of the knuckle with chassis lube and install the hub and splash shield.
- Tighten the hub bolts to 75 ft. lbs. (102 Nm).
- Install the hub washer and nut. Tighten the nut to 175 ft. lbs. (237 Nm). Install the locknut. Install a new cotter pin.
- Install the brake assemblies.
- Lower the vehicle.