To inspect the ball joints, unload the suspension and support the vehicle safely. Upper ball joints on 2WD vehicles and any ball joint on 4WD vehicles should be replaced if any play exists at all.
Removal & Installation
See Figure 1
This procedure requires the use of a special ball joint removal tool.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove the wheel. Remove the steering knuckle.
- Position a ball joint removal tool (J-34503-1 and 34503-3 or equivalent), as illustrated, to remove the ball joint.
- Tighten the clamp screw to remove the joint.
- Use a ball joint installation tool (J-34503-5 or J-34503-4 or equivalent), as illustrated, to install the ball joint.
- Install the knuckle. Tighten steering knuckle-to-ball joint nuts to 100 ft. lbs. (135 Nm).