Removal & Installation
Cherokee, Wagoneer and Comanche Models
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7
- Remove the headlamp bezel and retaining ring attaching screws. Remove the bezel and retaining ring.
- Pull the headlight out, disconnect the wire harness and remove the headlight from the vehicle.
- Install the headlight in the reverse order of removal.
- Open the hood, reach into the engine compartment and locate the lock ring supporting the bulb assembly.
- Rotate the lock ring 1 / 8 turn counterclockwise and pull the bulb straight out from the housing.
- Install a new bulb and position the bulb assembly in the lamp housing.
- Rotate the lock ring 1 / 8 turn clockwise to secure.
See Figures 8, 9 and 10
The headlights must be properly aimed to provide the best, safest road illumination. The lights should be checked for proper aim, and adjusted if necessary, after installing a new sealed beam unit or if the front end sheet metal has been replaced. Certain state and local authorities have requirements for headlight aiming and you should check these before adjusting.
The truck's fuel tank should be about half full when adjusting the headlights. Tires should be properly inflated, and if a heavy load is carried in the pick-up bed, it should remain there.
Horizontal and vertical aiming of each sealed beam unit is provided by two adjusting screws, which move the mounting ring in the body against the tension of the coil spring. There is no adjustment for focus; this is done during headlight manufacturing.
- If aiming is to be performed outdoors, it is advisable to wait until dusk in order to properly see the headlight beams on the wall. If done in a garage, darken the area around the wall as much as possible by closing shades or hanging cloth over the windows.
- Turn the headlights ON and mark the wall at the center of each light's low beam, then switch on the brights and mark the center of each light's high beam. A short length of masking tape which is visible from the front of the vehicle may be used. Although marking all four positions is advisable, marking one position from each light should be sufficient.