Removal & Installation
Warner T4/5 Models
See Figure 1
- Remove the screws attaching the the shift lever boot to the floor pan and slide the boot up.
- Remove the bolts attaching the shift lever housing to the transmission and remove the lever and housing.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Make sure the lever is engaged with the shift rail before tightening the housing bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
See Figures 2 and 3
- Shift the transmission into first or third gear.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Support the transmission with a floor jack and remove the rear crossmember.
- Lower the transmission assembly no more than 3 inches (8 cm) for access to the shift lever.
- Reach up and around the transmission case to unseat the shifter lever dust boot from the transmission shift tower. Move the boot upward on the shift lever for access to the retainer that secures the lever in the tower.
- Disengage the shift lever from the transmission by pressing the shift lever retainer downward and counterclockwise. Then lift the lever and retainer out of the shift tower. You can leave the shift lever in the floorpan boot for reassembly.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Tighten crossmember-to-frame bolts to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm); transmission-to-crossmember bolts to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).
See Figure 4
- Remove the gearshift lever boot and remove the upper part of the console.
- Remove the lower part of the console. Remove the inner gearshift lever boot.
- Remove the gearshift lever.
On some BA 10/5 transmissions, the shift lever may be held in place with a snapring and spring washer.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.