Removal & Installation
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
Leaf springs are used on Cherokee, Wagoneer and Comanche models.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove the wheels.
- Take up the weight of the axle with a floor jack.
- Disconnect the shock absorbers at the axle.
- Disconnect the stabilizer bar links (if equipped) at the spring plate.
- Remove the spring bracket U-bolts and spring plates.
- Remove the rear spring-to-shackle bolt, then the front spring-to-shackle bolt.
- Lower the axle and remove the spring.
- Position the spring on the axle, then align the ends of the spring with the shackles.
- Install the shackle bolts, then the spring bracket U-bolts. Tighten the shackle bolts to 111 ft. lbs. (151 Nm) on 1984-88 models, 105 ft. lbs. (142 Nm) on 1989 models and 65 ft. lbs. (88 Nm) on 1990-98 models. Tighten the U-bolt nuts to 52 ft. lbs. (71 Nm) for Cherokee and Wagoneer or 100 ft. lbs. (135 Nm) on Comanche.
- Connect the stabilizer bar to the spring plate.
- Connect the shock absorbers to the axle.
- Install the wheels, then lower the vehicle to the ground. Double check the tightness of the fasteners.