Removal & Installation
Without Air Bag
See Figures 1 and 2
The ignition switch is located on the lower part of the steering column.
- Place the ignition in the LOCK position.
- Remove any components necessary to access the switch.
- Remove the two switch mounting screws.
- Disconnect the switch from the rod.
- Disconnect the wiring and remove the switch.
On non-tilt columns:
- Move the ignition switch slider to the OFF unlocked position (move the slider all the way down, then back two clicks). The remote rod hole in the ignition switch slider should now be centered.
- Insert the remote rod in the ignition switch slider hole and install the ignition switch on the steering column. Tighten the attaching screws to 35 inch lbs. (4 Nm).
On tilt columns:
- Insert the ignition key in the lock cylinder and turn the cylinder to the OFF unlocked position.
- Move the ignition switch downward to eliminate any slack and tighten the attaching screws to 35 inch lbs. (4 Nm).
- Install any components removed for switch access.
See Figures 3 through 9
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and disable the air bag system.
- If equipped, remove the tilt lever.
- Remove the upper and lower steering column covers with a suitable Torx® driver.
- Using Snap-On® tamper-proof bit TTXR20BO or equivalent, remove the ignition switch screws.
- Pull the ignition switch away from the column.
- Release the 2 connector locks on the 7-terminal wiring connector and remove the connector from the ignition switch.
- Release the connector lock on the key-in-switch and halo light 4-terminal connector and remove the connector from the ignition switch.
- Insert the key into the ignition lock and ensure it is in the LOCK position.
- Using a small screwdriver, depress the key cylinder retaining pin so it is flush with the key cylinder surface.
- Turn the ignition key to the OFF position and the lock will release from its seated position.
Do not remove the cylinder at this time.
- Turn the key to the LOCK position and remove the key.
- Remove the ignition lock.
- Install the electrical connectors to the switch. Ensure the switch locking tabs are fully seated in the wiring connectors.
- Mount the ignition switch to the column. The dowel pin on the ignition switch assembly must engage with the column park-lock slider linkage. Ensure the ignition switch is in the lock position (flag is parallel with the ignition switch terminals).
- Apply a dab of grease to the flag and pin. Position the park-lock link and slider to mid-travel. Position the ignition lock against the lock housing face. Ensure the pin is inserted into the park-lock link contour slot and tighten the retaining screw.
- With the ignition lock and switch in the LOCK position, insert the lock into the switch assembly until it bottoms.
- Assemble the column covers.
- If equipped, install the tilt wheel lever.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- From the right side of the vehicle (in case of accidental deployment), turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
- Check for proper air bag warning light operation.