Removal & Installation
Without Air Bag
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Set the front tires in the straight ahead position.
If equipped with the standard steering wheel:
- Remove the trim cover attaching screws from the underside of the wheel and remove the cover.
- Unplug the horn wire connectors from the contact switch.
If equipped with the sport steering wheel:
- Remove the horn button by prying outward.
- Remove the horn contact assembly, bushing, receiver and flex plate from the steering wheel.
- Remove the steering wheel nut and vibration damper.
- Scribe a line mark on the steering wheel and steering shaft if there is not one already. Release the turn signal assembly from the steering post and install a puller.
- Remove the steering wheel and spring.
- Align the scribe marks on the steering shaft with the steering wheel and secure the steering wheel spring, steering wheel, and horn button contact cup with the steering wheel nut. Tighten to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).
- Install the horn assembly in the reverse order of removal.
- Connect the battery cable and test for horn operation.
See Figures 7, 8 and 9
Before removing the steering wheel, disable the air bag system (refer Chassis Electrical & Maintenance ). Failure to do so could result in accidental air bag deployment and possible injury.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and disable the air bag system.
- Set the front tires in a straight-ahead position.
- Remove the air bag module retaining nuts from behind the steering wheel.
- Remove the air bag module.
- If equipped, remove the cruise control switch.
- Disconnect the horn wiring.
- Remove the steering wheel retaining nut.
- Scribe a line mark on the steering wheel and steering shaft if there is not one already.
- Remove the steering wheel using a suitable puller.
- To install, align the scribe marks on the steering shaft with the steering wheel.
- Ensure the wheel compresses the 2 locktabs on the clockspring.
- Pull the air bag and if equipped, cruise control wires through the larger hole and horn wire through the smaller hole. Ensure they are not pinched.
- Install the steering wheel nut and tighten it to 45 ft. lbs. (61 Nm) while forcing the steering wheel down the shaft with the nut.
- Connect the wire feed to the horn buttons.
- Connect the feed wires and tighten the air bag retaining nuts to 90 inch lbs. (10 Nm). Ensure the air bag is completely seated. The latching clip arms must be visible on top of the connector housing on the module.
- Enable the air bag system and connect the battery cable.
- From the right side of the vehicle (in case of accidental deployment), turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
- Check for proper air bag warning light operation.