The Electronic Control Unit (ECU) was utilized on the 1995-96 models. The Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) on 1997-98 Jeep models has a Controller Antilock Brakes (CAB) unit mounted to it, which serves the same function as the ABS-ECU.
Removal & Installation
See Figure 1
The Electronic Control Unit (ECU) is usually located in the engine compartment, mounted on the driver's side inner fender panel.
- Turn the ignition to the OFF position.
- Remove the lower finish panel from the instrument panel.
- Remove the ECU retaining bolts/nuts and release the metal strap that secures the ECU harness connector to the pin terminals.
- Disengage the harness connector from the ECU. This is achieved by tilting the connector upward to disengage it from the pins and then sliding it out of the retaining tangs.
- Remove the ECU and mounting bracket as an assembly.
- If a new ECU is to be installed, first install the mounting bracket on the ECU and tighten the fasteners to 85-125 inch. lbs (10-14 Nm).
- Engage the harness connector to the ECU making sure it is fully seated and engages the tangs on the ECU.
- Position the ECU bracket under the dash and install the retainers. Tighten the retainers to 75-125 inch lbs. (8-14 Nm).
- Install the finish panel on the instrument panel.