REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Remove the intake manifold.
- Disconnect the EGR tube.
- Disconnect the exhaust pipe at the manifold.
- Disconnect the oxygen sensor wire.
- Support the manifold and remove the nuts from the studs.
- If a new manifold is being installed, transfer the oxygen sensor. Torque the sensor to 35 ft. lbs. (47 Nm).
- Thoroughly clean the gasket mating surfaces of the manifold and head.
- Install the manifold, using a new gasket. Torque the nuts to 23 ft. lbs. (31 Nm).
- Connect the oxygen sensor wire.
- Connect the exhaust pipe at the manifold.
- Connect the EGR tube.
- Install the intake manifold.
See Figures 5 and 6
The intake and exhaust manifolds on 4.0L and 4.2L engines must be removed together. See the procedure for removing and installing the intake manifold.