REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 11
Some vehicles equipped with air conditioning and a serpentine drive belt use a reverse-rotating water pump coupled with a viscous fan drive assembly. These components are identified by the word REVERSE stamped on the cover of the viscous drive and on the inner side of the fan. The word REV is also cast into the body of the water pump.
- Drain the cooling system.
- Disconnect the hoses at the pump.
- Remove the drive belts.
- Remove the fan and shroud.
- Remove the power steering pump bracket.
- Unbolt and remove the pump.
- Clean the mating surfaces thoroughly.
- Using a new gasket, install the pump and torque the bolts to 13 ft. lbs. (18 Nm) for 1987-92 vehicles, or 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm) for 1993-95 vehicles.
- Install the fan and shroud.
- Install the power steering pump bracket.
- Install and adjust the drive belts.
- Connect the hoses at the pump.
On 1989-90 engines, remove the coolant temperature sensor switch located in the intake manifold to permit air to escape from the block. Reinstall the switch when the system is filled.
- Fill the cooling system.