REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
An arbor press is necessary for this procedure.
- Jack up the vehicle and remove the wheels.
- Remove the brake drum spring locknuts and remove the drum.
- Remove the axle shaft flange cup plug by piercing the center with a sharp tool and prying it out.
- Using the access hole in the axle shaft flange, remove the nuts which attach the backing plate and retainer to the axle tube flange.
- Remove the axle shaft from the housing with an axle puller.
- Position the axle shaft in a vise.
- Remove the retaining ring by drilling a 1 / 4 in. hole about 3 / 4 of the way through the ring, then using a cold chisel over the hole, split the ring.
- Remove the bearing with an arbor press, discard the seal and remove the retainer plate.
- Clean the bearing and seal surfaces in the axle tube, then coat the the surfaces with wheel bearing grease.
- Lubricate the lips of the of the axle shaft inner and outer seal lips with wheel bearing grease.
- Install the inner seal in the axle tube, making sure the seal lip faces inward and is fully seated.
- Install the seal retainer and outer seal on the shaft and make sure the seal lip faces the axle tube.
- Pack the new bearing with bearing grease and install on the shaft.
- Press the new bearing on the shaft, then press the new bearing retaining ring on the shaft against the bearing.
- Install the axle shaft.
- Align the seal retainer and brake support plate on the studs. Install and tighten the nuts to 32 ft. lbs. (43 Nm).
- Install the brake drum and wheel.
See Figures 6 through 15
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove the wheels and brake assemblies.
For vehicles equipped with ABS, please refer to Brakes for the proper procedures concerning brake removal.
- Loosen the differential housing cover, drain the lubricant and remove the cover.
- Rotate the differential so the pinion gear mate shaft lock screw is accessible. Remove the screw along with the shaft.
- Move the axle shafts inward and remove the C-clip lock from the recessed groove in the axle shaft.
- Remove the axle shaft from the case.
- Remove the axle shaft seal and bearing using removal tool set 6310 .
- Wipe the bearing bore and axle shaft tube clean.
- Install the bearing using tools C-4171 and 6436. Seat the bearing against the shoulder in the axle tube.
- Install the replacement axle shaft seal with tool 6437 and C-4171. When the installation tool face contacts the axle tube, the seal is at the correct depth.
- Lubricate the bore and the seal lip. Insert the shaft into the tube, engaging its splines with the differential.
- Install the C-clips and seat the axles by forcing outward.
- Insert the pinion gear mate shaft into the case, through the thrust washers and the pinion gears. Align the shaft hole with the lock screw hole. Install the lock screw and tighten to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm).
- Apply an 1 / 8 in. (3mm) bead of RTV to the differential cover after cleaning the differential and cover with solvent.
- Install the cover and tighten bolts to 35 ft. lbs. (47 Nm).
- Install the brake assemblies and wheels.
For Trac-Loc® differentials, a special limited slip additive is needed.
- Fill the differential, then lower and test the vehicle.
- For vehicles equipped with Trac-Loc® differentials, drive the vehicle and make 10 to 12 slow, figure-eight turns to pump lubricant through the clutch discs.