REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Raise the vehicle with a jack under the axle. Place a jackstand under the frame side rail. Then lower the axle jack so the load is relieved from the spring and the wheels just touch the floor.
- Disconnect the shock absorber from the axle shaft tube bracket.
- Remove the U-bolt nuts, the U-bolts and the spring bracket from the axle shaft tube.
- Remove the bolts attaching the spring eyes to the rear shackle plate and the front frame bracket.
- Remove the spring from the vehicle.
- Inspect the bushings in the eye of the main spring leaf and the bushings of the spring shackle for excessive wear. Replace if necessary.
- The spring can be disassembled to replace an individual spring leaf, by removing the clips and the center bolts.
- Install the spring spring eyes at the rear shackle plate and the front frame bracket.
- Install the spring eye attaching bolts and nuts and only finger-tighten the nuts at this time.
- Move the axle into position on the spring by lowering the axle jack. Place the spring center bolt in the axle saddle hole.
Be sure that the center bolt is properly centered in the axle saddle.
- Install the spring bracket, the U-bolts and the U-bolt nuts. Tighten the nuts to 90 ft. lbs. (122 Nm).
- Connect the shock absorber to the axle tube bracket and tighten the nut to 75 ft. lbs. (102 Nm).
- Install the wheel/tires and tighten the lug nuts to 75 ft. lbs. (102 Nm).
- Remove the jack and allow the weight of the vehicle to seat the bushings in their operating positions. Tighten the front spring eye-to-shackle plate bolt to 95 ft. lbs. (129 Nm)
- Tighten the rear spring eye-to-frame bracket bolt to 105 ft. lbs. (142 Nm)