REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Remove the intermediate shaft-to-wormshaft coupling clamp bolt and disconnect the intermediate shaft.
- Raise and support the front end on jackstands.
- Disconnect the center link from the Pitman arm.
- Remove the front stabilizer bar.
- Remove the Pitman arm nut and washer.
- Matchmark the Pitman arm and shaft, then remove the Pitman arm with a puller, such as J-6632-01 or equivalent.
- Remove the mounting bolts and the gear.
- Position the gear on the frame and install the mounting bolts. Torque the gear-to-frame bolts to 65-78 ft. lbs. (88-108 Nm).
- Install the Pitman arm. Torque the Pitman arm nut to 185 ft. lbs. (251 Nm) and stake it in two places.
- Install the front stabilizer bar. Torque the stabilizer bar-to-frame bolts to 55 ft. lbs. (75 Nm). Torque the stabilizer bar-to-link bolts to 27 ft. lbs. (37 Nm).
- Connect the center link to the Pitman arm. Torque the center link-to-Pitman arm nut to 55 ft. lbs. (75 Nm).
- Install the intermediate shaft-to-wormshaft coupling clamp bolt. Torque the bolt to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).
See Figure 2
Adjustments must be made in the order given. Failure to following sequence could result in damage to the gear.
Worm Bearing Preload
- Check that the steering gear mounting bolts are properly torqued.
- If necessary, remove the front stabilizer bar.
- Matchmark and remove the Pitman arm.
- Remove the horn button and cover. Attach an inch-pound torque wrench and socket to steering wheel nut, then turn the shaft to the extreme right or left, gently, until you hit the stop. Rotate it back from the stop 1 / 2