REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Raise and support the front end on jackstands.
- Place the wheels in a straight-ahead position.
- Matchmark the Pitman arm and gear housing.
- Disconnect the connecting rod/drag link from the arm.
- Matchmark the Pitman arm and shaft.
- Remove the Pitman arm nut and washer.
- Using a puller, remove the Pitman arm from the gear. Never hammer on the arm or use a wedge tool to remove it!
- Install the Pitman arm aligning the matchmarks on the arm and shaft.
- Install the washer and nut. Torque the nut to 185 ft. lbs. (251 Nm).
Connect the connecting rod/drag link, or knuckle, to the Pitman arm. Observe the following torques:
Pitman arm-to-knuckle nut: 55 ft. lbs. (74 Nm)