REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 8
- Disconnect the battery ground.
- Cover the painted areas of the column.
- Remove the column-to-dash bezel.
- With tilt columns, place the column in the non-tilt position.
- Turn the key to the LOCK position, then remove the steering wheel and horn components.
- Remove the lockplate cover.
- Compress the lockplate using tool C4156 or equivalent, and unseat the steering shaft snapring.
Do not attempt to remove the lockplate without compressor tool C4156 as the lockplate is under heavy spring pressure.
- Remove the compressor and snapring.
- Remove the lockplate, canceling cam and upper bearing preload spring. Remove the horn button components from the cancelling cam.
- Remove the hazard warning knob. Press the knob inward and turn counterclockwise to remove it.
- Remove the actuator arm attaching screw.
- Remove the turn signal switch attaching screw.
- Remove the five lower steering column shroud screws and slide the shroud towards the steering wheel. Apply upward pressure to the shroud and downward pressure to the indicator panel in order to release the holding tabs.
- Remove the cover under the column.