Be sure to maintain a minimum of 4 in. (102mm) clearance between the lower end of the vehicle and the ground.
If a flatbed tow truck is unavailable, and a commercial sling-type tow truck will be used, make the connections at the front of the vehicle as follows:
- Turn the front wheels all the way to the right.
Tow hooks or chains must not be attached to the bumper.
- Attach T-hooks to the slots in the front end of each frame rail.
- Position each chain over the top of each front spring shackle bolt, then double wrap the chains.
- Position the tow bar under the bumper.
- Attach safety chains to the lower half of the front spring shackles.
- Turn the ignition switch OFF to unlock the steering wheel.
- Shift the transmission into either Park (automatic transmission) or a forward gear (manual transmission), then shift the transfer case into Neutral.
If rear end towing is necessary, be sure to use wheel-lift equipment. Clamp the steering wheel with the front wheels in the straight ahead position; do not use the steering column lock as a substitute for the clamping device.