The knock sensor is used to detect engine vibrations caused by preignition or detonation and provides information to the ECM, which then retards the timing to eliminate detonation.
Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the necessary components to gain access to the sensor.
- Disconnect the sensor connector.
- Remove the sensor from its mounting.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- Tighten the sensor to 11-18 ft. lbs.
- Check the sensor torque. It should be 11-18 ft. lbs.
- If the sensor is still not functioning, replace it with a known good component.
- Recheck the sensor.