Never open, service or drain the radiator or cooling system when hot; serious burns can occur from the steam and hot coolant. Also, when draining engine coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted to ethylene glycol antifreeze and could drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantities. Always drain coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or is several years old.
- Drain the engine coolant.
- Disconnect the ground cable of battery.
- Remove the electrical connector from the sensor.
Remove the coolant temperature sensor.
- Apply sealant to sensor threads. Install the sensor and tighten to 15-29 ft. lbs. (20-39 Nm).
- Connect the coolant sensor to the harness.
- Connect the ground cable of battery.
- Refill the coolant.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the connector from the sensor.
- Drain the cooling system, as required.
- Remove the sensor from its mounting.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.