Removal & Installation
This model is equipped with a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), which uses an air bag. Whenever working near any of the SRS components, such as the impact sensors, the air bag module, steering column, and instrument panel, disable the SRS. The SRS is designed to retain enough power to deploy the air bag for about 30 seconds even after the battery has been disconnected, so serious injury may result from unintended air bag deployment if service is done on the SRS immediately after the battery cable is disconnected.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect negative battery cable.
- Remove air bag module and steering wheel. Refer to Steering Wheel removal and installation.
- Remove the clockspring.
- Disconnect and remove the ignition switch from the steering column.
Prior to installing the clockspring, set it in the neutral position. Refer to the Clockspring Centering section.
- Install ignition switch in the steering column.
- Install the clockspring to the column switch.
- Connect the airbag module harness connectors.
- Install the steering wheel and tighten locknut and washer to 29-36 ft. lbs. (39-49 Nm).
- Secure the airbag module with the new mounting bolts and tighten to 72-96 inch lbs. (8-11 Nm).
- Replace upper and lower steering column shrouds.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable.