If bearings are worn, replace with new sealed bearings.
Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Release the parking brake.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Using Special Tool 09455-21000, remove the tone wheel from the hub assembly.
- Remove the flange nut from the hub assembly.
While supporting the flange area of the bearing outer race, press out the axle hub.
Using Special Tool 09544-21000, remove the bearing inner race from the axle hub.
- Apply a thin coat of grease to the knuckle and bearing contact surfaces.
Using Special Tool 09221-21000, press the bearing into the hub.
WARNINGDo not press against the outer race of the wheel bearing. Damage to the bearing assembly could occur.
- After tightening the flange nut, stake the nut to meet the concave portion of the spindle.
- Using Special Tool 09221-21000, press the tone wheel onto the hub assembly.
Fix the hub assembly to the brake backing plate so the rounded area of the bearing outer race is placed facing upward.
- Install the hub mounting bolts and tighten to 59-74 ft. lbs. (100-120 Nm).
- Rotate the hub to seat the bearing.
- Using a spring balance, measure the wheel bearing turning torque. Torque should be 9 inch lbs. (1 Nm) or less.
- The remainder of the installation is the reverse of removal.