- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect negative battery cable.
Remove the air bag module:
- Turn the front wheel to the straight-ahead position when removing/installing airbag module or clockspring.
- Remove the ignition key from the vehicle.
- Unscrew the airbag module mounting bolts using a hexagonal wrench.
Remove the driver airbag module connector.
CAUTIONThe removed airbag module should be stored in a clean, dry place with the pad cover face up.
- Remove the steering wheel using special service tool (09561-11001).
Remove three screws and remove the steering column upper and lower shrouds.
Disconnect the clockspring connector from the airbag module.
NOTEPull the lock connector of the airbag outward to spread it open.
- Make sure front wheels are in the straight-ahead position
Install the clockspring to the column switch.
CAUTIONIf the mating mark of the clockspring is not properly aligned, the steering wheel may not completely rotate during a turn, or the flat cable within the clockspring may be broken causing an obstruction of the normal operation of the SRS and possibly lead to a serious injury to the driver of the vehicle.
- Connect the airbag module harness connectors.
- Install the steering wheel. Tighten locknut and washer to 29-36 ft. lbs. (39-49 Nm).
- Install the airbag module on the steering wheel.
- Secure the airbag module with the new mounting bolts and tighten to 72-96 inch lbs. (8-11 Nm).
- Replace upper and lower steering column shrouds.
Reconnect the negative battery cable.