Inner Tripot Joint
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions at the beginning of this section.
- Remove the axle halfshaft from the vehicle and place it in a vise.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Tripod joint boot clamps. Slide the boot on the axle shaft to expose the joint.
Install or connect the following:
Inner Tripod joint boot
- Install the axle halfshaft to the vehicle.
The outer CV joint is serviced only with the axle halfshaft as an assembly. The outer CV joint boot can be serviced by first removing the inner Tripod joint.
Remove the driveshaft from the vehicle.
NOTEDo not disassemble the BJ assembly.
- Remove the clip from the driveshaft splines of the transaxle side.
- Remove both boot bands from the transaxle side UTJ case.
When separating the joint and boot, remove the grease from the UTJ case.
NOTEMatchmark the assembly according to the illustration.
- Using the proper tool, remove the snap ring. Using tool (09495-3300), or equivalent remove the spider assembly from the shaft.
- Clean the spider assembly. Remove the boot of the transaxle side joint (UTL assembly). Remove both bands on the side of the wheel.
- Pull out the joint boot (BJ assembly) on the side of the wheel in the transaxle direction.
- To assemble reverse the disassembly procedures.
- Be sure to use the alignment marks made during disassembly when installing the spider assembly and snap ring on the driveshaft splines.
- To control the air in the UTJ boot, keep the specified distance between the boot bands when they are tightened.
Be sure distance L is to specification.