This vehicle is equipped with hydraulic valve lifters. No adjustment is necessary.3.8L Engine
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions at the beginning of this section.
- Record the radio anti theft code data.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the engine cover. Remove the air cleaner assembly.
- Remove the surge tank. Disconnect the ignition coil connector and remove the ignition coil.
- Disconnect the breather pipe assembly from the cylinder head cover.
- Remove the cylinder head cover retaining bolts. Remove the cylinder head covers from the engine.
- Set the No. 1 cylinder to TDC on the compression stroke. Turn the crankshaft pulley and align its groove with the timing mark T of the lower timing chain cover.
- Check that the mark of the camshaft timing sprockets are in straight line positioning on the cylinder head surface. If not rotate the crankshaft 360 degrees. Do not rotate the engine counterclockwise.
Check the valve clearance on No. 1 cylinder by measuring the clearance between the tappet and the base circle of the camshaft. Record the specification.
- Turn the crankshaft pulley one revolution and align the groove with the timing mark T on the lower timing chain cover.
Check the valve clearance on No. 4 cylinder by measuring the clearance between the tappet and the base circle of the camshaft. Record the specification.
- To adjust the intake and exhaust valve clearance, set the No. 1 cylinder to TDC on the compression stroke