This vehicle is equipped with hydraulic valve lifters. No adjustment is necessary.3.8L Engine
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions at the beginning of this section.
- Record the radio anti theft code data.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the engine cover. Remove the air cleaner assembly.
- Remove the surge tank. Disconnect the ignition coil connector and remove the ignition coil.
- Disconnect the breather pipe assembly from the cylinder head cover.
- Remove the cylinder head cover retaining bolts. Remove the cylinder head covers from the engine.
- Set the No. 1 cylinder to TDC on the compression stroke. Turn the crankshaft pulley and align its groove with the timing mark T of the lower timing chain cover.
- Check that the mark of the camshaft timing sprockets are in straight line positioning on the cylinder head surface. If not rotate the crankshaft 360 degrees. Do not rotate the engine counterclockwise.
Check the valve clearance on No. 1 cylinder by measuring the clearance between the tappet and the base circle of the camshaft. Record the specification.
- Turn the crankshaft pulley one revolution and align the groove with the timing mark T on the lower timing chain cover.
Check the valve clearance on No. 4 cylinder by measuring the clearance between the tappet and the base circle of the camshaft. Record the specification.
To adjust the intake and exhaust valve clearance, set the No. 1 cylinder to TDC on the compression stroke. Remove the timing chain.
NOTEBefore removing the timing chain mark the RH and LH timing chain with an identification based on the location of the sprocket. You must do this because the identification mark on the chain for TDC can be erased.
- Remove the camshaft bearing caps. Remove the camshafts. Remove the MLA-s.
Measure the thickness of the removed tappet using a micrometer. Calculate the thickness of the new tappet so that the valve clearance comes within the specified value. Select a new tappet with a thickness as close as possible to the calculated value.
NOTEShims are available in 41 size increments ranging from 0.0006 inch to 0.118 inch.
Place a new tappet on the cylinder head.
NOTEApply clean engine oil at the selected tappet on the periphery and top surface.
- Install the camshafts. Install the bearing caps. Install the timing chain.
- Turn the crankshaft two turns in the clockwise direction and realign the crankshaft sprocket and camshaft sprocket timing marks.
- Recheck the valve clearance.