Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the transaxle assembly.
- Remove the clutch and flywheel assembly, if equipped with a manual transaxle.
- Remove the flexplate-to-crankshaft bolts, the flexplate and shim plates, if equipped with an automatic transaxle.
- Cut the oil seal lip with a knife. Install a rag to the housing and using a screwdriver, carefully pry the oil seal from the oil seal housing. Clean the gasket mounting surfaces.
- Clean the oil seal housing. Coat the oil seal and the housing with clean engine oil.
- Install the oil seal into the housing and tap it evenly into place with a hammer and a large diameter piece of pipe. The seal must be flush with the edge of the rear cover.
- Install the flywheel assembly or the flexplate, as applicable, and tighten the mounting bolts to 71-76 ft. lbs. (97-102 Nm).
- Install the clutch assembly, if applicable.
- Install the transaxle.
- Connect the negative battery cable.