- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Make sure the wheels of the vehicle are centered in the straight ahead position.
- If equipped with air bags, remove the bolts, then carefully remove the air bag module from the steering wheel.
- If not equipped with airbags, remove the horn cap bolts and horn cap. Detach the horn electrical connector.
- Matchmark the position of the steering wheel to the steering shaft for proper alignment during installation.
- Remove the steering wheel nut.
Install a suitable steering wheel puller, then remove the steering wheel. Route the wire harness through the wheel as you lift it off the shaft.
WARNINGNever attempt to remove the steering wheel by hitting the steering shaft with a hammer. The steering shaft will collapse, causing the steering wheel to bind!
- Install the steering wheel, then tighten the nut to 29-36 ft. lbs. (39-49 Nm).
- Install the horn cap or air bag module, as applicable.
- Connect the negative battery cable.