Description & Operation
The camshaft position sensor senses the TDC point of the number one cylinder, on its compression stroke. Its signal is relayed to the ECM to be used to determine the sequence of fuel injection.
Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the connector from the sensor.
- Remove the bolt that retains the sensor.
- Remove the sensor.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- Be sure that the CMPS and PCM connectors are connected.
- Engine ON and monitor the signal waveform of the sensor on the scan tool. Check whether the waveform is synchronized with the crankshaft position sensor or not.
- If the waveform signal is normal, substitute with a known good PCM and check for proper operation. If the problem is corrected replace the PCM.
- If the waveform signal is not normal, substitute with a known good sensor and check for proper operation. If the problem is corrected replace the sensor.