The knock sensor is used to detect engine vibrations caused by preignition or detonation and provides information to the ECM, which then retards the timing to eliminate detonation.
Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the necessary components to gain access to the sensor.
- Disconnect the sensor connector.
- Remove the sensor from its mounting.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- Tighten the sensor to 15-18 ft. lbs.
- Disconnect the sensor electrical connector. Connect an ohmmeter.
- Measure the resistance between terminals 1 and 2. Specification should be 5mohm at 68 degrees F.
- If resistance is zero, replace the sensor.
- Measure the capacitance between terminal 1 and 2. Specification should be 800-1600 pF.
- If not within specification, replace the sensor.