The MAF is measured by detection of heat transfer from a hot film probe because the change of the mass air flow rate causes change in the amount of heat being transferred from the hot film probe surface to the air flow. The air flow sensor generates a pulse so it repeatedly opens and closes between the voltages supplied from the PCM. This results in a change of the temperature of the hot film probe and in the change of resistance.
Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the connector from the sensor.
- Remove the air cleaner and air intake assembly, as required.
- Remove the sensor from its mounting.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- Be sure the engine is at operating temperature.
- Remove the sensor connector.
- Using a voltmeter, measure the output voltage.
- Specification should be 0.5 volt at idle and 1.0 volt at 2000 rpm.
- Replace the sensor, as required.