Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Rotate the tensioner arm clockwise and remove the belt from the pulley.
- Remove the power steering pump pulley, idler pulley, tensioner pulley and crankshaft pulley.
- Remove the upper and lower timing belt covers.
Remove the auto tensioner.
NOTERotate the crankshaft clockwise and align the timing mark to set the number one piston at TDC on the compression stroke. The timing marks on the camshaft sprocket and cylinder head cover should coincide with one another.
Unbolt the tensioner and remove the timing belt.
NOTEIf reusing the timing belt make sure to mark the rotation direction for reassembly.
- Ensure that the engine is set to Top Dead Center (TDC).
- Install the idler pulley to the idler bracket.
- Install the tensioner arm, shaft and plane washer to the cylinder block. Torque the bolts to 25-40 ft. lbs. (35-55 Nm).
- Install the crankshaft sprocket and align the timing mark. Do not bend the crankshaft sensing blade.
Install the camshaft sprocket and adjust the initial installation state according to the illustration.
- Install the auto tensioner to oil pump case. At this time the auto tensioner set pin should be completely assembled.
Align the timing marks of each sprocket and install the timing belt in the following order, crankshaft sprocket, idler pulley, exhaust camshaft sprocket (LH), intake camshaft sprocket (LH), water pump pulley, intake camshaft sprocket (RH), exhaust camshaft sprocket (RH) and tensioner pulley.
- After installing the timing belt, reconfirm the timing mark. Install the tensioner pulley. Pull the set pin out of the auto tensioner.
- Rotate the crankshaft 2 revolutions Clockwise , then wait 5 minutes for the auto tensioner to adjust.
Measure the auto tensioner rod as shown. If the measurement is not 3.8-4.5 mm, then repeat the belt tensioning procedure.
- After the auto tensioner measurement is correct, install the upper and lower timing belt covers.
- Continue the installation in the reverse order of the removal procedure.