Removal & Installation
Steering Wheel Air Bag Module
Before servicing, or working around, the SRS system, properly disarm the system.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Position the front wheels in the straight ahead position.
Disarm the SRS System as follows:
- Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Disconnect the positive battery cable.
- Wait 10 minutes for the back-up power to discharge.
- Remove the four air bag module retaining bolts from the backside of the steering wheel.
Pull the air bag module away from the steering wheel.
NOTEThe orange electrical connector must be disconnected first.
Disconnect the ORANGE horn electrical connector from the clockspring, then disconnect the BLUE air bag module connector, and remove the module from the vehicle.
NOTEPlace the air bag module face-up in a safe location until reinstalled.
Ensure the front wheels are in a straight ahead position.
NOTEThe blue electrical connector must be connected first.
Holding the surface of the air bag module away from you, couple the blue air bag-SRS connectors, then couple the orange horn connector.
NOTEThe orange and blue connectors are keyed to fit only one way. When properly assembled, they will snap into place with light pressure and an audible "click" will be heard. Do not force. If undue force is required, the connectors are not aligned properly.
- Set the module into the steering wheel, taking care not to pinch the wiring harness.
- Install the four retaining bolts and tighten to 72- 106 inch lbs. (8-12 Nm).
- Connect the battery.
Verify that no Diagnostic Trouble Codes are present.