- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Position the front wheels in the straight ahead position.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Disconnect the positive battery cable.
- Remove the air bag module.
- Remove the steering wheel nut.
- Mark the steering wheel and the steering shaft so that their relative positions will be know during re-installation.
- Using a suitable puller, remove the steering wheel.
Remove the combination switch as follows:
- Remove the three combination switch retaining screws.
- Disconnect the three electrical connectors.
- Remove the switch assembly.
Follow the steps below to align the clockspring:
Rotate the clockspring clockwise until it stops.
NOTEThe clockspring connector may be damaged if it is over tightened.
- Rotate the clockspring connector counter-clockwise exactly 2.75 turns.
Align the arrow on the clockspring connector plate to the arrow on the connector housing.
NOTEAn alignment pin is used to aid in the alignment of the clockspring connector when installing the steering wheel onto the steering column. An alignment pin is provided with a new combination switch, but a substitute pin will be needed when re-aligning an original clockspring.
- Rotate the clockspring clockwise until it stops.
- Install the combination switch. Connect the three electrical connectors and secure with the three retaining screws.
Properly align the steering wheel to the shaft and install the steering wheel.
WARNINGThe clockspring connector may be damaged in the steering wheel is installed off-center.
- Remove the alignment pin and tighten the steering wheel retaining nut to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).
- Install the air bag module
Connect the battery.