The idle speed control actuator maintains idle speed according to various engine loads and conditions. This component also provides additional air during startup. It consists of an opening coil, a closing coil and a permanent magnet. According to the control signals from the ECM, the valve rotor rotates to control the bypass air flow into the engine.
Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the connector from the component.
- Remove the retaining screws.
- Remove the component from its mounting.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- Be sure the ignition is OFF
- Remove the valve from the throttle body. Check the throttle bore, throttle plate and the ISCA passages for chocking and for foreign objects. Repair as required.
- Install the valve.
- Be sure the ignition is ON and the engine is OFF.
- Install the scan tool. Select the -IDLE SPEED ACTUATOR- parameter on the -Actuation Test- mode.
- Activate the valve by pressing the -STAT- key.
Check the valve for a clicking sound and visually verify that the valve opens and closes.
NOTERepeat numerous times to ensure reliability.
- If the component is operating properly, check for poor connection between ECM and component. Correct, as required.
- If not, substitute the sensor with a known good component, check for proper operation. If problem corrected replace the component.