The knock sensor is used to detect engine vibrations caused by preignition or detonation and provides information to the ECM, which then retards the timing to eliminate detonation.
Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the intake manifold support bracket.
- Disconnect the sensor connector.
- Remove the sensor from its mounting.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- With the sensor still connected, install a voltmeter between terminal 3 (yel/grn) and ground.
- Turn the ignition switch ON.
- Tap the engine crossmember bracket, using a wrench.
- Verify that a voltage spike (less than 1 volt) is output from the sensor.
- If no voltage spike is observed, replace the sensor.