- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Secure the halfshaft in a soft-jawed vise. Be careful that dust or other foreign material does not enter the joint during repair. Do not disassemble the wheel side CV-joint. Do not wash joint insolvent unless it is to be disassembled.
- Inspect boot and clamp for damage.
- Pry up differential side boot locking clamps using a screwdriver and pliers.
- Remove boot clamp and slide boot along shaft to expose the CV-joint.
- Mark shaft and the outer ring for identical installation position.
Remove the stopper ring using with a screwdriver.
- Mark the shaft, cage, and inner ring for identical installation position.
Remove the snapring with snapring pliers.
- Remove the cage assembly.
- Remove the ball bearings.
- Mark the inner ring and cage for identical assembly position.
Turn the cage about 30 degrees and separate it from the inner ring.
- Wrap the wheel side splines with tape and remove the boot. If necessary, remove the dust cover with a plastic hammer.
On the left side:
- On differential end, install (if removed) a new dust cover with a plastic hammer.
If not already wrapped, wrap the wheel side splines with suitable tape and install a new boot with a new clamp.
NOTEThe wheel side and differential side boots are not identical.
- Align disassembly reference marks and put ball bearings into the inner ring.
Install the cage, inner ring and ball assembly to the halfshaft in the direction shown.
NOTEInstall the cage with the big end facing the snapring groove. If installed in reverse, the drive shaft may become disengaged.
- Using snapring pliers, install a new snapring into the halfshaft groove. On the right side:
- For wheel end, install the cage on the inner ring and turn about 30 degrees with respect to the inner ring.
- Fit the ball bearings through the cage into the ball grooves of the inner ring.
- Apply yellow joint grease to the cage, inner ring, and ball bearings.
- Align reference installation marks and install a new snap and stopper ring.
Install boot with a new boot clamp. Using pliers, fold boot clamp. Bend the clamp clips to lock clamp in place.
NOTEAlways use new clamps and install clamp crimp-over in opposite direction of halfshaft forward rotation.
- Using pliers, install new clip onto differential halfshaft end groove.