- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Following proper procedures, drain the fuel tank
- Release the catch for the back seat and tilt the seat out of the way.
- Move the carpet behind the seat that covers the fuel pump access panel.
- Disconnect the fuel pump electrical connectors.
- Remove the bolt securing the ground wire.
- Remove the four screws securing the fuel pump access panel and position the panel aside.
- Disconnect the two fuel hoses from the fuel pump assembly.
- Disconnect the fuel tank pressure sensor electrical connector.
- Working through the access port, remove the three hose clamps from the three hoses connected to the tank.
- Disconnect the three hoses from the nozzles at the tank.
- Loosen the inlet hose assembly joint clamp.
- Remove the filler pipe and the inlet joint hose.
- Raise and properly support the vehicle.
- Position a suitable jack at the center of the tank and remove the five bolts securing the tank to the chassis. Allow the tank to rest on the jack.
Carefully lower the tank assembly from the vehicle and place on a workbench.
WARNINGMake certain to seal all fuel tank openings until the tank is reinstalled in the vehicle.
- Remove the two retaining bolts securing the fuel tank to the tank shield and separate the tank from the shield.
- Position the tank onto the tanks shield and secure with the two retaining bolts.
- Place the tank onto the jack and carefully raise the fuel tank assembly under the vehicle until the assembly is positioned at the point of installation.
- Remove the temporary covering or seal that was used to protect the tank.
- Install the five bolts securing the tank assembly to the chassis.
- Lower the vehicle.
Install the main fuel hose, the fuel return hose and the evaporative hose as follows:
- Slide the hose clamps over the three hoses.
- Push the hose ends onto the fuel tank fitting so that there is at least 1 inch overlap.
- Secure the hoses with the clamps.
Position the clamps over the fuel filler hoses and slide the hoses over the tank pipes so that there is at least 1.4 inch overlap.
- Secure the filler hoses with the clamps.
- Connect the two fuel hoses to the pump and secure with clamps.
- Connect the fuel tank pressure sensor electrical connector.
- Insert the ground wire and fuel pump electrical connector through the access hole and install the access cover.
- Connect the fuel pump electrical connector.
- Secure any loose wiring with adhesive tape and reattach the carpeting.
- Release the catch for the rear seat and put the rear seat in the normal position.
- Close the rear access door.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable.
- Pressurize the fuel system and check for leaks.